New enhancements for NetSupport School for Chrome!
NetSupport School for Chrome’s latest performance enhancements makes it faster and easier for teachers to manage, interact and engage with students’ Chrome devices from their own PC or Chrome device.
With added support for NetSupport School’s User and connectivity options, Chrome Tutors can now quickly connect to the required Student devices by logged-on username/email . This additional support means schools have more flexibly when setting up and connecting to classrooms, helping to save time and maximise lesson time.
To download this latest NetSupport School Chrome Student extension, simply visit the Google Chrome Web store.
To download this latest NetSupport School Tutor for Chrome app update, simply visit the Google Chrome Web store.
NetSupport School offers both a Tutor app for Chrome OS as well as a Student extension for installation on each device, delivering a perfect solution for a Chromebook-only classroom as well as compatibility for a Windows teacher to manage Chromebooks.
Key Features when connecting to students from a teacher's Chrome OS device:
- Flexible range of connection methods to Chrome student devices including User and PC Mode.
- Details View’ provides the teacher with an instant overview of current Internet activity. To ensure you retain full visibility of your students' internet use, it is recommended that you 'disallow' Incognito Mode in the Chrome OS User Settings via Google Apps for Education.
- View a crystal clear thumbnail of each student machine in a single view.
- Zoom in to view a larger thumbnail of any selected student Chromebook.
- The teacher can set objectives and expected outcomes for the current lesson.
- Ask students to register at the start of each lesson.
- Lock the student's mouse and keyboard when instructing.
- Send an instant survey or request for feedback to each student and display results in real time.
- The teacher can open a discussion session that all or selected students can join, enter their comments and share with the rest of the class.
- Send an attention-grabbing message or instruction to each student machine.
- Request Help facility - students can send a request for help to the teacher.
- Block unauthorized websites.
- Use approved websites only.
- Block all Internet access.
- Launch a website on the student Chromebook.
- Block FTP Access.
- Optimised performance for Chromebooks running on battery mode.
- Monitor and control the websites and web activity on student Chromebooks.
- Extra security with password-protected 'Options' setting on student Chromebooks.
- Flexible range of connection methods to Chrome student devices.
- Students’ machines are always accessible - even after periods of inactivity.
Installation and pre-requisites for Chrome
Regardless if you’re working in a Chromebook-only classroom or Windows/Mac instructor connecting to a Chrome students (or mixed platforms), there are 3 components that must be installed:
- Tutor component
- If you are working in a Windows environment, this can be downloaded via the ‘main Windows download’ option to install the Windows Tutor onto the instructors desktop PC. In mixed platform classrooms, the NetSupport School Windows Tutor application can also connect to student Chromebooks.
- If you are a Chrome instructor, you can install the NetSupport School Tutor for Chrome app from the Google Web store.
- If you are a Mac instructor, you will need to install the NetSupport School Tutor for Chrome app from the Google Web store and open a chrome browser to connect to Chrome students.
- To establish a connection between Tutor/Students, the NetSupport Name & Connectivity Server (NCS Gateway) must be installed via the ‘main Windows download’ option (select Custom install) on a Windows Server. Our Installation Guide provides more information.
- A student extension must be installed on each of the students' Chrome OS devices. For a Windows device, use the ‘main Windows download’ option to install the student component. For other platforms, download the relevant NetSupport School Student app (from the relevant app store) on each of the students' devices.
Organisations that use "Google Apps for Domains" can now centrally manage their NetSupport School settings from within the Google Admin Console, including:
- The ability to force-install the NetSupport School Student extension
- Export your Student configuration settings as a policy template for use globally on all other student devices
Installing the NSS components in a Google Chrome environment
Centrally managing and configuring the NSS Student extension for Google Chrome